A friend (woman) originating from Honduras asked me via mobile message how I was doing, to which I answered:

Muy bien, y tu?

Her answer:

Bien grax amigui que tengas un dia muy bonita!

grax is an abbreviation for gracias, but why amigui instead of amigo? (I am a guy)

• What is the difference compared with just using "amigo"?
  • Is there a particular nuance?
  • Is it a bit humorous?

This is something I've started to hear recently, also in Spain. I think amigui is an abbreviation for amiguito which is, as JesusS says in his answer, more affectionate.

amigui is not the short form for amiguito.

amigui is used for a more tender way to express amigo(a).

It's a trend way to talk. It's mainly used by girls and guys who are parodying that girls.

The i is used on a bunch of words like Hola-Holi, Amigo-amigui or even at laughing, like jijiji

Amigui is like amigo but in a more affectionate way. "Amigui" as a word doesn't exist and I never used it, but in Spain we use to say "coleguis" instead of "colegas" (buddies) with the same nuance

If people speak and write "amigui" and other people understand it, then it most definitely is a word. What else could it possibly be? Whether you'll find it in a dictionary is another matter entirely. Nov 6 '15 at 17:32

Amigui:

friend = amigo.

dude = amigui.

It is the same "amigo", but with a more affectionate, as in the case of cat touch, kity, something good.

denotes trust

"Amigui" is an abbreviation of amiguito (little friend), usually it is used to call a close friend an a friendly way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.