I know the Spanish word for whinny (horses' sound) would be 'relincho' but I can't seem to find the correct translation for nicker.

Definition of nicker according to Google:

1. (a horse) give a soft breathy whinny. (verb)
  2. a soft whinnying sound. (noun)

In English these two things evoke very different feelings, a horse might nicker as a greeting or to show he is content, while a whinny is much more urgent, caused by fear or a call to other horses that are out of sight.

Is there a way to translate this difference into Spanish other than just saying 'relincho suave'? I'm based in Argentina but would be interested in a translation in any dialect.

I think I have heard to say about horses (probably among others) that they

• relinchan (neigh)
  • bufan (snort)
  • resoplan (snort / puff / wheeze)

I don't know if those translations ara completely accurate, but a resoplido is less intense than a relincho, so you may go with that for those "soft whinnying sound" a horse does when it is content.

I googled that a bit and from what I find 'resoplar' is used in a context of worried/excited snorting. As in this video. I'm looking for is this sound. In the same article it refers to the second sound as 'relincho suave', so that might just be the correct translation :/ Oct 29 '15 at 13:37
  • @AkkaVoskuil, there you go then. Even if you are already suggesting that in your own question I encourage you to write that as a formal answer and accept it.
    – Diego
    Oct 29 '15 at 14:01
  • +1 for "resoplar". That's what I'd use too.
    – rsuarez
    Oct 30 '15 at 17:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.