I want to translate this sentence into Spanish:

The term Oedipus complex explains the emotions and ideas that the mind keeps in the unconscious, via dynamic repression, that concentrates upon a child's desire to have sexual relations with the parent of the opposite sex .

My attempt:

El término "complejo de Edipo" explica las emociones e ideas que la mente mantiene en el inconsciente , a través de la represión dinámica que se concentra en el deseo de un niño para tener relaciones sexuales con el progenitor del sexo opuesto.

Is my translation correct?

Thank you.

Yes it sounds good. Some extra commas or dots would help reading it out loud! – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Oct 25 '15 at 18:47
    10/10. I think is perfect. – Herman Junge Oct 25 '15 at 21:12

I would say "... que se concentra en el deseo de un niño de tener relaciones ...".

One reference I've found to support the use of "de": Deseo sexual

I believe using "para" indicates "for whom", more than "with". As in "en el deseo de un niño de salud para su padre"

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. Is using para incorrect? – keramus Oct 25 '15 at 18:53
  • Yes. "para" is not correct in your context. You should use "de". Guiseppe's explanation and examples are correct. – DGaleano Oct 26 '15 at 13:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.