I'm taking a shower and then suddenly the water stopped coming out from the shower.

What would a Spanish speaking person say in this situation? (right at that moment)

Are these sentences correct?

No hay agua.

Se ha ido el agua.

And after this disaster , I go to the kitchen to make lunch. The stove is not working.

Can I say: (right at that moment)

No hay gas.

Se ha ido el gas.

I would be grateful if you could answer my question.

Thank you.

All of your solutions are correct. «No hay» can be used for more unspecific cases (example: you don't know for how long the house hasn't had water). «Se ha ido» has a more immediate sense: there was water a moment ago, now there isn't. The only case I wouldn't use «irse» is for bottled gas, in which case I would use «agotarse» or «acabarse», but it's fine for piped gas or other immaterial services perceived as a flow from an external source: cobertura (mobile), señal (TV, radio)... – guillem Oct 24 '15 at 7:42
  • In the case of water:

-Se cortó el agua.

-Me he quedado sin agua.

-Se fue el agua

• in the case of gas:

-Me he quedado sin gas.

-La cocina se ha quedado sin gas.

-La garrafa de gas esta vacía.

| improve this answer | |
    Attention the the «eh» «ah»! Those are interjections. The correct verbs are «he», «ha». Also, «cortó» and «está» need their accent marks. cc/ @keramus – guillem Oct 24 '15 at 7:37
  • Yes sorry! is HE, no EH! siempre me confundo! – Lobo-Eze Oct 24 '15 at 13:56
    I agree 100% with @Lobo-Eze when he says "se fue el agua" but careful, it's completely wrong to use accent on "fue". Here, two references: cvc.cervantes.es/lengua/alhabla/museo_horrores/museo_028.htm spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/3497/… Now, in the case of gas, "No hay gas". It depends how is your service of gas. Some people in Latin America don't use gas from pipes, but in a sort of small containers. In that case people say "Se acabó el gas". In both disasters you can swear also. Interested? Let me know. – Maximus Decimus Oct 24 '15 at 14:29
  • so if the example -La garrafa de gas esta vacía. hehehe – Lobo-Eze Oct 24 '15 at 14:36
    hehe, This is the first time that I heard about "garrafa de gas". In South America, some say "balón de gas" or "tanque de gas". But in that case anyway they say "Se acabó el gas, llama al proveedor para que nos traiga uno nuevo" (Call the company of gas to bring us a new one). – Maximus Decimus Oct 24 '15 at 15:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.