I want to translate this sentence into Spanish:

According to Hegel, Heraclitus is the one who first declared the nature of the infinite and first grasped nature as in itself infinite.

My attempt:

Según Hegel, Heráclito es la primera persona que declaró la naturaleza de lo infinito y la captó en sí mismo infinita.

Is my translation correct? If it's not , what would a native speaker suggest?

Thank you in advance.

• What does "grasped nature as in itself infinite." means, who is itself
    – Jaume
    Oct 24, 2015 at 17:28
  • In this sentence, grasp means UNDERSTAND. understood nature como en si misma infinita. Hope this explanation helps.
    – keramus
    Oct 24, 2015 at 17:32

2 Answers 2

Según Hegel, Heráclito es quien primero declara la naturaleza de lo infinito así como quien primero capta la naturaleza misma como infinita.

EDIT: Is a matter of aesthetics how you link both "Quien primero". I have chosen "Así como".

• Thank you. May I ask you a question? I translated in itself as en sí mismo. Is en sí mismo incorrect?
    – keramus
    Oct 23, 2015 at 23:56
  • @keramus Sure. Why not? Oct 23, 2015 at 23:57
  • Prefiero "declaró" and not "declara". I think it's better, "declara" sounds as speech and it's not so clear while reading.
    – Jaume
    Oct 24, 2015 at 16:24
  • Is a matter of taste. When you are enumerating a sequence of facts throughout a span of time, you can conjugate everything in the present tense. Jorge Luis Borges was fond of that technique. Oct 24, 2015 at 21:14

This is my own translation, definitely it depends on aesthetics:

Según Hegel, Heráclito fue el primero en declarar la naturaleza de lo infinito y el primero en...

That second part is a little bit hard for me to translate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.