I am learning Spanish as a fluent American English speaker. I thought it would help to memorize all single-syllable Spanish words so I can build a quick foundation and help to catch those words when people are speaking to me.

So far, I've not found any comprehensive list online, but I have found the evidence that other people are searching for it. So, maybe we can compile one here. I'd like to list all words (1-5 characters) with English definitions, and maybe pronunciation keys. I did find some help from Scrabble sites...

2-letter words: http://spanish.about.com/od/vocabularygamesandpuzzle/a/two-letter-words.htm

scroll to 4-letter & under: http://www.wordfind.com/word/espanol/

Thanks for the help! Pedro

• Good idea. But in my opinion as a learner of languages, the best "basics" start, other than common phrases, are the kids shows in a language. I suggest you to start from there, if you want to take the approach of "basic patterns first". Anyways, I posted an answer below. Hope you can find those words useful. Oct 23 '15 at 19:26

A quick search brought me the link and words I will detail below, in case we lost the wiktionary site in the future.

https://es.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ap%C3%A9ndice:Monosilabos

a al ar as ax bah bar be bel bien bis bit boj bol bon brin bus buz cal can car ce cha che ché chin chip cho cid clan clon col con coz cran crin crol cron cruz cu da dad dan das de dé del di dí do don dos e el él en erg es ex fa fan fax faz fe fez fin fiel flan flor flux folk frez fu ga gas ge gel gen gil gin gis gol gong gran gres gris gu gui gus ha han has haz he hez hiel hoz i ir ka krill la lar las le les lo los luz lux mal mar mas más me mes mi mí mil mis mol mor mu mur mus na ni no non nos ña ño ñor ñu o oc oh os ox pe pal pan par paz pez pi pin pie piel plan plus pon pop por pos prez pro pus que qué ras re red res rip rol ron ros rus sal sál san se sé sed sel sen ser si sí sic sil sin so sol son sor sos su sud sur sus tac tal tan tas taz te té ten test tex tez ti tic ton tos tras tren tres tris tu tú tul tun u ud un va val vals van vas ve vé ven ver ves vez vi vil vis vos voz watt y ya yang ye yen yin yo zig zag zas zar zen

And several of these can be made plural this making it bigger. Oct 23 '15 at 20:54

To add to Herman's answer there is this other link however I completely agree with Herman This is useless. As a native speaker I don't even know the meaning of some of those words and some may even have several meanings depending on the context, so I think memorizing these lists would be a waste of time...but suit yourself :-)

www.wikilengua.org

guion pie pio piais pieis rio riais ruan Ruan Sion Saiz Sainz Lion ruo ruais rue rueis ruin guio guie guiais guieis truhan cio cie ciais cieis crio crie criais crieis lio lie liais lieis Luis fio fie fiais fieis trio trie triais trieis cian pion prion muon ion

I agree that most of these aren't useful. At first glance I didn't recognize a lot but realized in context I would. Some of the extra words you added, by the way, will be bisilabic for some speakers (guion can be /gjon/ or /gi'on/) Oct 23 '15 at 22:02
  • about the bi-syllabic.....please read the link...it is very interesting.....I understand your point but they should not be bi-syllabic because of the "diptongo o triptongo" however can be bi-sylabic because of the "hiato"...it is interesting as I said.
    – DGaleano
    Oct 23 '15 at 22:15
    per the Ortografía de 2010, they are considered diphthongs for orthographic purposes only, without respect to the actually pronunciation which varies (pre-2010 practice was to use guion for monosyllabic and guión for bisyllabic, for instance). That is mentioned in the link you provided. Oct 23 '15 at 22:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.