On Memrise.com, there is a course titled Spanish Nouns for Young Kids.

Level 1 of the course lists the following word/definition pairs:

• la corbata (tie)
  • la gorbata (the tie)

Why does one word mean "tie" and the other mean "the tie"? Also, why is that I've visited two different online Spanish dictionaries, and neither has an entry for "gorbata"?

It's just a mistake. It should be corbata (tie) and la corbata (the tie), but often times you'll see vocabulary listed with the definite article (el/la/los/las, that is, the) so that you can identify the gender/number, though it may not always be in the accompanying translation. – user0721090601 Oct 7 '15 at 4:23
    @guifa, I think you should post the above comment as an answer, there's no doubt that you are totally correct. – Jose Maria Oct 7 '15 at 4:42
    @JoseMaria I'd actually rather let someone else — with much less reputation — answer so they can get the reputation and practice writing good answers. – user0721090601 Oct 7 '15 at 6:57
    @guifa: I also encourage you to answer. It's nice to "share the rep," but rep ought to be considered a side-effect here, and not the primary reason to post. What's most important is providing valuable content, and "making the Internet a better place." – Flimzy Oct 7 '15 at 9:30
  • @guifa A bove maiori discit arare minor, estoy seguro que la respuesta de un usuario tan experimentado como tú, es el mejor ejemplo para aquellos usuarios con menor experiencia en el sitio ;) – Jose Maria Oct 7 '15 at 9:37
  • La corbata = The Tie
  • Corbata = Tie

"Gorbata" doesn't exist. It may be just an error in the page.

| improve this answer | |

The tie for me could mean 2 things... A neck tie (corbata) or just a regular rope tie (nudo). Gorbata is not a Spanish word and this website must got it wrong.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.