I am looking for a good translation to the phrase "Pay your respects" in Spanish.

I haven't been able to figure out one that really conveys the meaning. These are the ones I currently came up with:

• Mostrar tu respeto

• Guardar respeto

What I don't like about them is that they imply passiveness.

I've always seen it translated as «presentar los respetos (de alguien a alguien)»:

Realizar manifestaciones de cortesía a alguien. Presenté mis respetos a su esposa. —Source.

And, I add, can be used ironically: «vamos a presentar nuestros respetos al nuevo alumno (knuckles cracking)» or in a more metaphorical way: «fueron al bar a presentar sus respetos a la cerveza que les esperaba». Even in the plain sense of paying a visit: «después de presentar nuestros respetos al museo, continuamos con la visita a la ciudad».

• As native speaker, I think this is the best solution as you can use it Ironically, in case of a deceased one, format situation, etc... more or less, like in English. – Raistmaj Sep 4 '15 at 17:35

In addition to what guillem mentioned, if I am correct, this phrase is also used when someone dies, and you want to say something to the person who lost the loved one. In this case, you can say:

Dar el pésame.

Definiton of pésame on RAE:

Expresión con que se hace saber a alguien el sentimiento que se tiene de su pena o aflicción.

I don't think that "dar el pésame" is always a good translation for "Pay your respects". It works in the context of a deceased one (ie. in a funeral), but you could pay your respects to someone who is alive (a important authority), or to something else. For example "mafia groups set themselves apart as a separate law ... that is, they must pay respect exclusively to the mafia legal order" (From Letizia Paoli's Mafia Brotherhoods : Organized Crime, Italian Style). Or "pay your respect to the boss". So, in this context you can't use "dar el pésame". – Diego Sep 4 '15 at 15:45
  • You are right. This is why I specified the context on the answer, since the question does not specify any. – scubaFun Sep 4 '15 at 15:57

In Colombia the expression used is "Saludar". "Voy a saludar a ...". Keep in mind that "saludar" also is used to greet someone, however in a specif context, it's meaning goes beyond the act of greeting and extends to the act of saluting of paying respect to.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.