How can I translate this?

After classes were over at X College, I went to Japan with my family.

So far I have:

Después de las clases habían terminado en X College, fui a Japan con mi familia.

• Japón is Spanish for "Japan" and for "college" we usually say "La universidad". "X College" could be "La Autónoma / La Politécnica / Harvard"...
    – Diego
    Aug 19 '15 at 13:05

Después de que las clases en X College terminaron, fui a Japón con mi familia.

A bit old-fashioned/literary:

Después de que terminaron las clases en X College , fui a Japón con mi familia.

You could also say Después de que las clases en X College terminaron, fui a Japón con mi familia. Hubieron terminado makes it unnecessarily complicated IMHO.
    – Joze
    Aug 19 '15 at 9:47
    @joze from a strict grammatical standpoint, the anterior preterite let's us know immediacy of the departure to Japan, whereas with simple preterite that's only implied but not guaranteed (he simply went to Japan sometime after classes finished, but maybe other things happened in between). Using adverbs like inmediatemente or justo can allow you to show the same relationship with simple preterite, though. Aug 19 '15 at 12:00
  • @guifa Well it depends on what the speaker wants to say. Simply using the preterite is easier for learners while having the same perceived meaning. While speaking spanish I personally rarely use the anterior preterite.
    – Joze
    Aug 19 '15 at 12:33
  • Shouldn't be terminarAn because it refers to the classes (femenin)? Aug 19 '15 at 13:13
  • @Joze Absolutely. That's why I said from a strict one. Not many people really use the anterior preterite anymore, I don't, at least, and I even regularly use future subjunctive even in speech :-) For learners, it can also be beneficial to push them to the pluperfect, which is even easier to conjugate. (justo después de que habían terminado las clases, fui a Japón) Aug 19 '15 at 13:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.