How do you say in imperative form that someone should jump on one leg?

Is it:

• Da brincos en una pierna
  • Da brincos de una pierna
  • Da saltos en una pierna

Or is it totally different? How?

• Saltar a la pata coja
    – rpax
    Aug 18 '15 at 20:37
  • Do you want the translation or the coloquial meaning? 1 and 3 are the same and correct translations. I can imagine there is a children game "pata coja" but that may depend on different country. Aug 18 '15 at 20:42
    I have noticed that many of the other answers include saltar en una pierna as correct. It isn't, at least, in Spain. As some have pointed, you should use saltar/brincar con una pierna, sobre una pierna, or a la pata coja
    – Héctor E
    Aug 18 '15 at 21:06

Does anybody read the part of the question that says "imperative form"? I am from Madrid and in an "imperative from", I would say depending on how many people the message is sent to:

• Only one person: "Tú" (any of the next options is fine):

a) Salta sobre una (sola) pierna.

a1) Da saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

b) Salta con una (sola) pierna.

b1) Da saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

c) Salta a la pata coja.

c1) Da saltos a la pata coja.

• Only one person: "Usted" (This is the polite/very respectful way of "Tú". For example we use "Usted" when talking to an old person or one of your customers in your job). The three previous options would be now:

a) Salte sobre una (sola) pierna.

a1) De saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

b) Salte con una (sola) pierna.

b1) De saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

c) Salte a la pata coja.

c1) De saltos a la pata coja.

• More than one person: "Vosotros" (The plural of "Tú". See the "d"):

a) Saltad sobre una (sola) pierna.

a1) Dad saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

b) Saltad con una (sola) pierna.

b2) Dad saltos con una (sola) pierna.

c) Saltad a la pata coja.

c2) Dad saltos a la pata coja.

• More than one person: "Ustedes" (The plural of "Usted". See the "n")

a) Salten sobre una (sola) pierna.

a1) Den saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

b) Salten con una (sola) pierna.

b1) Den saltos sobre una (sola) pierna.

c) Salten a la pata coja.

c1) Den saltos a la pata coja.

Here are some notes about the previous sentences:

• The word "solo" is optional but i would include it to emphasise that it is "one" leg. You can use before or after "pierna" (In the previous sentences I included before, but after is ok too: for example, "Salta sobre una pierna sola")

• You can use the verb "Saltar" or "Dar saltos". The meaning is the same. A synonym of "Saltar" is "Brincar" (or "Dar brincos") I have not included these options to avoid making this post longer, however the conjugation is the same than in the case of "saltar" [If you want, I can write them all]

• As Héctor E said before, I would not use "en" for linking the verb "saltar" to the number of legs you are using to jump. For me, the correct prepositions in this case are "sobre" or "con" [Saltar sobre una pierna | Saltar con una pierna |Saltar sobre las dos piernas |Saltar con las dos piernas-]. I do not know if it is ok in any other country (different from Spain), but for me it sounds, at least, estrange. A different point here is the use of "en" if you are saying where you are jumping on (for example "Saltar con una sola pierna en la calle" or "Saltar en el campo con las dos piernas". The place where you are jumping on is the street -or the countryside-)

• As somebody told you before "Saltar a la pata coja" is an informal way of saying "jumping on one leg". The context where you would hear it more often is in chidren plays.

• "Does anybody read the part of the question that says "imperative form"?" Yes, but as I told Angelo, the OP is using imperative tense correctly in every example in his question. I don't think he has a problem with imperative tense, but with the verb he needs to use after "dar" (saltar/brincar - en/de una pierna). I bet that he could conjugate correctly imperative for saltar and brincar. Nevertheless, +1 really complete answer.
    – Diego
    Aug 19 '15 at 1:26

"Jumping on one leg", (or "hopping on one leg) at least in Castilian Spanish would be Saltar a la pata coja

Pata would refer to the leg of an animal or object, like a chair. Cojo/ja is someone or something with a missing leg.

Los niños estaban jugando a este juego de saltar a la pata coja hasta el cuadro con la piedra, recogerla y regresar. The kids were playing this game of stepping on one feet to the place the stone is, collects it and coming back.

En argentina es sólo "saltar en una pata" Aug 18 '15 at 14:23

Brincar y saltar son sinónimos, así que saltar con una pierna y brincar con una pierna son correctos, también le puedes indicar a alguien que de brincos con una pierna o de saltos con una pierna

• I think this is the most neutral way to say it. Aug 18 '15 at 17:07
    Not everywhere. Aug 19 '15 at 3:51
    Try to complete your answer to make it more apt for the global hispanic World. Other than that welcome to SL&U!
    – Joze
    Aug 19 '15 at 9:08

If you read the question, it says imperative form. So I think it should be Salta en una pierna or Brinca en una pierna

Despite the title, reading the question and seeing its tags I don't think that the OP has a question about verb tenses. His question is about the expression for "jumping in one leg". He is even using imperative of "dar" correctly in each of his examples.
    – Diego
    Aug 18 '15 at 19:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.