A "rollback" in Stack Exchange is an action to get a post back to a certain revision in its history.

It even has the badge Cleanup for those doing it for the first time.

I was wondering: how can this be translated to Spanish? Checking in Wordreference I see some suggestions like "reducción", "retirada" or "revocación", but neither of them sound very well to me.

  • La primera palabra que se me ocurre es revuelta que se define en parte como «Punto en que algo empieza a torcer su dirección o a tomar otra / Este mismo cambio de dirección / Vuelta o mudanza de un estado a otro, o de un parecer a otro». Otra ventaja: existe el verbo revolver también: «Volver a andar lo andado. / Dicho de una cosa: Dar vuelta entera hasta llegar al punto de donde salió» – user0721090601 Aug 4 '15 at 21:51
  • @guifa Ya veremos lo que harán para la IU de es.so, pero a mí me parece mejor un verbo en este caso, aunque no me importa tanto que sea revertir o restaurar o algún otro. – tchrist Aug 7 '15 at 17:41
  • Revertir o restaurar son las mejores opciones. – lorddarkangel Aug 19 '15 at 19:25
  • Pues veo que finalmente Stack Overflow en español utiliza revertir (un ejemplo). – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Aug 23 '16 at 15:23

I suggest to "do a rollback" the verb restaurar.

But for substantive rollback none word sounds good to me. Restauración, reposición, restablecimiento... not seem usual to talk about records, operating systems or databases. Maybe a phrase: vuelta atrás.

  • Restaurar and vuelta atrás are right on point. Great answer. – Joze Aug 5 '15 at 12:28
  • Restaurar seems to be the best option. In Windows if you create a restore point (English version) Punto de restauración (Spanish version) you can Rollback (restaurar a un punto de restauración / restaurar sistema). – AlexBcn Aug 7 '15 at 8:02

I suggest you to use revertir.

  • This si the correct usage :) – Wilfredo P Aug 31 '16 at 14:18
  • I agree. In IT jargon, to rollback is a general term meaning to undo any change leaving the system as it was before such change was done. It's translated as revertir by spanish spoken sysadmins. If the rollback is done just by restoring a backup copy, then we use restaurar. – Ra_ Jan 3 '17 at 11:25

I would use the word "Rebobinar" (Rewind), "Restaurar" (To restore), or maybe "Retroceder" (To go back). As a substantives, there are Rebobinado, Restauración, and Retroceso


I would say:

Volver a una versión anterior.


If the post is changed to the previous version the correct word would be

revertir: Come back to a previous version.

reversionar: (Not in the sense of remake), but to change the version

Other options:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.