I was reading this recipe for Guiso Argentino and came across the following line in the list of ingredients:

Tomate perita 1 lata

Google translate gives me "adept" or "proficient" for "perita" and I know that "pera" means "pear", but none of these translations make sense. In this context, what is the meaning of "tomate perita"?

Google's answer must be related to perito (n.): an expert in some field that can usually be consulted (e. g. in court) or relied upon for an informed opinion. Nothing to do with pera. – pablodf76 Jan 26 '17 at 22:21

"Tomate perita" is one variety of tomato that takes its name after its shape resembling a pear.

I found some references in elhuerto20 and gastronomía y cía.

De marzo a julio aproximadamente, en tierras de climas cálidos se recolecta el tomate pera, fruto híbrido de la tomatera que recibe este nombre debido a su característica forma alargada y oblonga. De las diferentes variedades que se cultivan de tomates pera, quizá el más valorado es el conocido como Roma, al que le sigue el Rio Grande, cuyo cultivo está más destinado a la productividad. Pero hay muchas otras variedades, muy similares en aspecto, otras no tanto, incluso hay tomates cherry pera y menos común, al menos en nuestra zona, es el tomate pera amarillo.

In the article of Wikipedia of Tomato there is the section Varieties:

Pear tomatoes are pear-shaped, and are based upon the San Marzano types for a richer gourmet paste.

Find one image here, taken from frutaselporton:

enter image description here

Would you know if "tomate perita" refers to the same variety as "Roma tomato" in English? – intcreator Aug 1 '15 at 19:44
    From the images in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_tomato they look very much alike. I am not an expert in tomatos (even though I love them) but I would say "yes, they do". And if they don't, they are almost brothers : ) – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Aug 1 '15 at 19:46
    Wait...it says right there in the description that you posted. How did neither of us see that? – intcreator Aug 2 '15 at 15:04
  • Haha you are right! – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Aug 3 '15 at 8:35
  • Tomates peritas are not really pear-shaped; they're just not round (as you can see in the picture). I don't think they taste different from the others. – pablodf76 Jan 26 '17 at 22:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.