Listening to a Spanish radio station this morning, they were counting up the top 10 songs. With at least several of them, they would say, "de la fila" such as: "...Numero cinco, de la fila"

Google translate says this means "row". I was thinking, by the context, it corresponded to "with a bullet" or "moving up this week" something like that. Am I right?

• in ur column or row, u have the 5th position in the cue, yep? – Drewico Jul 30 '15 at 15:25
    I have no idea what you're talking about. – B. Clay Shannon Jul 31 '15 at 17:12
  • ¿Estás seguro que no han dicho "el último de la fila"? – user12257 Mar 22 '16 at 19:38
    The accepted answer is correct on this context but FYI another meaning for "fila" is queue like when you go to the bank and have to stand in queue. This in Spanish would be "hacer la fila en el banco". – DGaleano Mar 22 '16 at 20:46

I would say that de la fila means "of the list" (i.e. the top 10), although the normal thing would have been de la lista, at least in Spain.

| improve this answer | |
  • That makes sense; that was the context. – B. Clay Shannon Jul 30 '15 at 15:45
    I would more say that file corresponds to the "line/queue", than to a "list". It implies somehow "order" or "sorting" in the expression – frandevel Jul 31 '15 at 9:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.