In Cristina Henriquez' novel "El Libro de Los Americanos Desconocidos" (very interesting so far, by the way) there is this:

"¿Que qué tal ha ido?"

Is this double "que" redundant? Is it simply indicating that the speaker stuttered, or...?

google translate gives me for this, "they did it go?" - obviously not very helpful.

• A bit more context could help to decide if it is a typo or it just lack an accent in the second "qué". – Blas Soriano Jul 20 '15 at 22:11
  • The second "que" does have an accent - I don't have the book with me at the moment, but my scribbled note shows an accent on the second "que" but not the first one...ok, I updated the sentence to show the accent. – B. Clay Shannon Jul 20 '15 at 22:15

ESPAÑOL - English follows

Puede ser una frase correcta.

Persona 1 - ¿Qué tal me ha ido?
Persona 2- ¿Que qué tal te ha ido? Te ha ido mal, porque no lo intentaste lo suficiente.

Es una forma abreviada de preguntar:
Persona 2 - ¿En serio? ¿Me estás preguntando que "qué tal te ha ido"?

ENGLISH

It may be a correct sentence.

Person 1 - ¿Qué tal me ha ido? (How did it go for me?)
Person 2- ¿Que qué tal te ha ido? Te ha ido mal, porque no lo intentaste lo suficiente. (How did it go for you? It went bad, because you did not tried hard enough).

It is an abbreviated form of asking: Person 2 - Really? Are you asking me that "how did it go for you"?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.