I'm trying to find the right word to use for a stripe in Jiu Jitsu; as you go up the levels you receive 4 stripes per belt colour. Would I use 'rayas'...?

I have practiced martial arts in the past, and where I come from, the word that I am familiar with is:

Punta

For example:

El estudiante es cinta naranja punta verde.

Note that in other contexts, stripe might be translated as:

franja

and as Diego mentioned,

raya

• Yes. Me too. I practiced Taekwon Do for so long and in Spanish we call it normally as "Punta <color>". eg. Punta amarilla (Yellow stripe), Punta verde (Green stripe), Punta azul (Blue stripe), Punta roja (Red stripe), Punta negra (Black stripe). When someone arrives to black belt, the degree is called Primer Dan (First Dan) 'til Noveno Dan (Ninth Dan). Depending on the martial art the Tenth Dan is unreachable because is reserved to the founder of the martial art. – Maximus Decimus Jul 14 '15 at 20:00
  • Thank you! In jiu jitsu the stripes aren't coloured, but every belt has 4 stripes. I assume I could say 'soy cinta blanca con 3 puntas/rayas' and it would make sense? – Lauren Gow Jul 16 '15 at 12:02
  • No problem! And as you said, the "cinta blanca con tres puntas" sentence is completely correct. – scubaFun Jul 16 '15 at 13:14

Raya seems to be appropriate for this context, like

En el segundo nivel el cinturón es blanco con una raya naranja

I was surprises first time I was told that there are more levels beyond a black belt. I think in karate they are called dans. Probably other disciplines have their own names as well as their own color schemes for belts, but AFAIK, there is no specific term to describe these stripes.

I just google for some info and found the following table, which again uses rayas (example for the 7th Kyu) to convey stripes:

enter image description here

Nevertheless, take notice that the above is appropriate to describe the belt to some one, like me, who has no idea what it looks like. People who are already "in the business" and know what the belts looks like often refer to them as "blanco, blanco-amarillo (no mention to the stripe), blanco-rojo, etc.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.