Having trouble coming up with a clear way of expressing "private tutor" (American English) in a letter to a school district in Spanish. Suggestions? (I don't want there to be any confusion as to whether I'm talking about a tutor or a legal guardian.)

¿Cómo puedo expresar el concepto de private tutor o private tutoring en español, en una carta dirigida a la escuela? La idea: es una persona que da clases particulares para regularización.

Profesor particular -- sounds promising. I'm not sure how to get from here to "tutoring."

  • I think perhaps that "clases particulares" o "lecciones particulares" might work for tutoring, but I'm not a native speaker, so I'm not sure in the least.
    – Aprendedor
    Jul 17, 2015 at 17:53

4 Answers 4


In Chile we say profesor particular.

  • 3
    Es igual en España: un profesor particular. Jul 11, 2015 at 18:02
  • En argentina también Jul 15, 2015 at 19:48

The literal translation is "tutor privado", but you can use "tutor particular", "profesor particular", or "maestro particular", if you want to refer to a legal guardian most common use is "tutor legal".


In Spain I would say "profesor particular"


Tutor(a) particular is an option but it is not the most used way, I'll prefer profesor (a) / maestro (maestra) particular but you need to check for a specific region/ country.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.