What're the differences between those both constructions? If yesterday I had lost my dog and was looking him should I say

Ayer estaba buscando mi perro.

or

Ayer buscaba mi perro.

And generally, when should I use estar + gerundio, and when past tenses?

Both would be translated to the same sentence in English

I was looking for my dog yesterday

but, in order to explain what estar is doing to the sentence, ... you have to remove the status of looking for

Yo buscaba a mi perro ayer.

I looked for my dog yesterday

there is still a continuity

VS

Yo estaba buscando a mi perro ayer

I was looking for my dog yesterday

Both estaba buscando and buscaba are in the imperfect tense, meaning there is no termination of the event.

Estar means to be in a current, specific, and particular state of time or place. So to say

Estaba buscando a ....

means, I was in a state of searching.. not I searched..

Yo estaba buscando a mi perro todo el día de ayer.

I was in a state of searching for my dog all day yesterday

VS

Yo buscaba a mi perro todo el día de ayer.

I searched for my dog all day yesterday.

| improve this answer | |
    Wait, imperfecto is equivalent of english past continous, and indefinido is equivalent of past simple, so 'lo busce' doesn't mean 'I looked him', and 'lo buscaba' 'I was looking him'? – mrJoe Jun 24 '15 at 16:22
  • yes, that's right... though I wouldn't call it indefinido . – dockeryZ Jun 24 '15 at 16:23
  • pretérito is the "past simple" you're referring to. – dockeryZ Jun 24 '15 at 16:28
  • So did you correctly translated 'Yo buscaba a mi perro' as 'I looked for my dog'? Doesn't is mean 'I was looking for my dog'? – mrJoe Jun 24 '15 at 16:31
  • I only translated it that way, literally, to show you what estar is doing to the sentence. They still both translate to the same thing. – dockeryZ Jun 24 '15 at 16:33

Yo buscaba a mi perro. Le no se usa ya que le es pronombre de objeto indirecto y el perro seria objeto directo. Le como pronombre de objeto directo solamente se usa cuando hablamos de personas, para lo demás se usan los pronombres de objeto directo.

buscaba a mi perro / lo buscaba estoy buscando a mi perro / lo estoy buscando

| improve this answer | |
  • I don't see how this answers the question. No veo como responde esto a la pregunta. – Brian H. May 22 '19 at 13:03
  • @BrianH. además, le se usa con personas o cosas humanizadas, tal como sería un perro (o por lo menos, yo le trato a mi perro casi como si lo fuese jajaja). – user0721090601 May 22 '19 at 13:43
  • @BrianH. esta respuesta es un comentario a una edición que el usuario ha realizado sobre otra respuesta, y por tanto debería ser convertido a comentario en la respuesta editada. Se recomienda al nuevo usuario consultar las secciones tour y How to Answer para saber más sobre el sitio. – Charlie May 22 '19 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.