Icing refers to a creamy, sugary topping used on cakes, cupcakes, to fill twinkies, etc. It's typically made from butter or shortening and sugar, and often food coloring.

What is a word in Spanish to convey the same thing, which will be as widely understood as possible?

When I switch from the English page for icing to Spanish, I get glaseado (glased), which isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Other words that come to mind are merengues and turrón, but neither one seems to be quite on target, either.

Some examples of icing:

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • I can only think of pasta
    – dockeryZ
    Jun 23, 2015 at 23:45
  • 1
    or cobertura...y relleno for filling.
    – dockeryZ
    Jun 23, 2015 at 23:51

2 Answers 2


I'm afraid the there is no single term to convey icing. Actually if it is filling something (like twinkies) is called relleno. Merengue and turrón won't apply here.

If you don't want to go with glaseado, which seems to be the best option, you could make do with "baño" or "cobertura" de chocolate, vainilla, etc.


In Chile we say simply crema for any creamy coverage or filler.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.