I know ponerse can sometimes be used as the equivalent for the English phrase to become in the sense of I became angry --> me puse enojado but can it be used in the sense of I want to to become a [name of career] --> quiero ponerse un [nombre de carrera]?

I think it's closer to think of it as equivalent to "getting" rather than "becoming".

You can say "Me pongo triste/contento", meaning "I get sad/happy". All uses I can think of it right now are related to emotional state.

but can it be used in the sense of I want to to become a [name of career]

No, you'd never say "Me quiero poner médico" with that meaning, which translates in some possible context as "I want to get medic/medical".

There's also another use for the verb, I hope it's not too confusing to mention it too:

When you say "Me pongo en eso", meaning you are going to work on something (as in "I get to it").

Being not a linguist but just a speaker, I can't give much more precision.

| improve this answer | |

Poner is pretty complex to use. We normally use it when using get.

I want to become... can be translated as quiero llegar a ser..., or quiero convertirme... but the use of poner it's just wrong as follows:

I want to become a Lawyer: quiero ponerme un abogado.

That's like saying I want to put a Lawyer myself.

So it's good to express emotions or adding adjectives to oneself like I become smart (me pongo inteligente), I became disgusting (me puse desagradable), etc.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.