What is the best Spanish translation of the English idiom "to play favorites" (as in favoring individuals in a group instead of treating everyone equally)?

For children we use "Consentido" meaning your favorite one.

In general, use "Preferido" as Laura stated the Mexican slang is "Enchufado"

| improve this answer | |
  • I think your answer relates to "favorite", but I don't see clearly how does it relate to the original question idiom "to play favorites". – Gonzalo Medina Jan 10 '12 at 22:36
  • It is traditionally say that your "Consentido(a)" is your favorite child because you let them getaway with stuff. And "prferido" is a person hum you give all the easy jobs to when you have a choice. – Fortunato Jan 11 '12 at 1:58
  • I think these two words have potential and I've upvoted. However, I'm going to rework the two ideas in a separate answer, for more precise accuracy. (Hopefully.) – aparente001 May 6 '18 at 4:56

I would say

favoritismo, favoritismos.

Here's the definition given in the DRAE:

favoritismo.

(De favorito).

1. m. Preferencia dada al favor sobre el mérito o la equidad, especialmente cuando aquella es habitual o predominante.
    Less formal "Estar enchufado" or "tener enchufe". – Laura Jan 8 '12 at 10:35
  • @Laura: that may be a regionalism, where have you heard it? Doesn't mean this in Argentina. – Petruza Jan 10 '12 at 2:23
  • @Petruza Sorry, I'm from Spain. – Laura Jan 10 '12 at 23:00
  • Sorry for the edit: I got confused with the comment by @Laura – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jun 20 '16 at 14:14

My answer will focus on verbs.

If you don't mind sounding a bit like a canned translation of an article, you can use "jugar favoritos."

In conversation, common ways of dealing with this are:

consentir (Collins: to spoil)

Mi mamá le consentía a mi hermano, pero era muy estricta conmigo. | My mother spoiled my brother but was very strict with me.

tener preferencia (Collins: tiene una clara preferencia por la hija mayor | he has a clear preference for his eldest daughter / his eldest daughter is his clear favourite)

Mi mamá tenia preferencia por mi hermano.

To play favorites -> Jugar a favoritos -> Más jugados

He is favorite of the teacher -> Es el enchufado de la maestra

• I don't understand "más jugados." – aparente001 May 6 '18 at 16:54
  • @walen - I guess you understood "más jugados" because you had the confidence to do an edit -- can you help me understand what the author meant with that part? – aparente001 May 6 '18 at 19:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.