This entry of the Diccionario panhispánico de dudas explains the uses of the diéresis or crema (the ¨ mark) in Spanish (it is mandatory over a u to indicate that this vowel must be pronounced in the combinations gue and gui, as in vergüenza, lingüística), but it gives no hints on its origin.

I would like to know the historical origin of this sign.

  • I always thought it was called trema! Commented Jan 9, 2012 at 8:53
  • @hippietrail: well, if you wear a Greek gown, you can also call it trema ;-) Commented Jan 16, 2012 at 20:48

1 Answer 1


Wikipedia explains it pretty well. It was invented by the Greeks, to mark a vowel that shouldn't be combined with adjacent ones into a diphthong or new sound. With that sense it's been used ever since, even in English (although this usage is almost extint). The word diaeresis means separation; crema comes from trema, which is Ancient Greek for pip (of dice), another name given to this diacritic by the Greek.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.