When someone says con permiso, for example when squeezing through a crowd, what is the appropriate response? For example, in English we might say something like "sorry" or "go ahead."

In Spain I've used or heard being used the following:

• Por supuesto
  • Pasa / Pase
  • Tranquilo
  • Claro
  • Sin problema

I'm sure there's more, but those are very common.

| improve this answer | |

In Mexico we use:

• Pase usted.
  • Adelante.
  • Pásele. (which sounds more informal)
    "Siga" but also very informal – César Jan 7 '12 at 14:25
    Sometimes I say: "Sí, claro" indicating with my hands he can go ahead, or "Sí, perdone/disculpe" if it was my fault because I was blocking his way and I could have avoided it. – Javi Jan 7 '12 at 16:41
    Siga is a good one! – Joze Jan 8 '12 at 1:33

In Mexico, another common response to "con permiso" is "propio". Literally, it signifies, "you own/you have permission" to pass by.

• I agree completely with adding "Propio" to the list of responses commonly found in Mexico that was contributed earlier by Alfredo. In fact, as I was reading Alfredo's post I was thinking, Yes, those are good, but I better add "Propio." // as for the usage, there isn't much to say. Someone says, "Con permiso," and you say, "Propio." Just like in Alfredo's answer. – aparente001 Jun 5 '18 at 4:13
  • I heard “propio” in Guatemala as well! – ChrisJF Feb 5 '19 at 14:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.