"To bell a cat" is a phrase which means "Doing an impossible task". I need to translate this phrase into Spanish to narrate a story.

The definition I found for that is "(idiomatic) To undertake a dangerous action in the service of a group." As it is "From a mediaeval fable in which mice want to put a bell round the cat's neck but cannot agree who should do it." – Martin Smith Apr 3 '15 at 16:57
  • @Martin, I agree. In my case, I was using this phrase to narrate a story to a kid who happens to be studying Spanish as his second language. So, I thought expressing a tough task using the above expression might be appropriate. Could you please suggest an alternative? – Vidya Sagar Panati Apr 7 '15 at 7:18

There's an almost literal version of that phrase in Spanish, ponerle el cascabel al gato, meaning "to do something very risky, dangerous or very difficult".

• I heard sometimes this expression when you expect a decission or action from a group of people a ver quien le pone el cascabel al gato :) – alphamikevictor May 7 '15 at 14:57
  • @alphamikevictor Indeed, its origin is a fable by Félix de Samaniego (though guess the story was older) in which a group of mice decided to literally put a bell on a cat but no mouse dared to to do it. – JMVanPelt May 7 '15 at 16:32
    @JMVanPelt it's origin was probably medieval [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling_the_cat] – roetnig Mar 1 '17 at 15:16

I guess that the rationale of the phrase is that a cat wouldn't let you put a bell on it. There is a similar expression in Spanish meaning something similar:

Poner una pica en Flandes.

A pica is a spear-like weapon. Flandes is a designation for the Netherlands. The sentence conveys how difficult it was for Carlos V to get his soldiers to the Netherlands (he didn't have good routes, neither by land or sea, since he was engaged in many wars with different countries).

enter image description here

La Rendición de Breda, por Diego Velázquez

• Quite good answer. But "Flandes is a designation for the Netherlands" ... you for sure mean at that time; now Belgium. Maybe obvious for us, but for Spanish learners it might not be obvious what now Flandes means. – c.p. Apr 3 '15 at 19:26
  • You're right: elaborating more on that, at the time, Flandes meant for the Spaniards roughly the whole Low Countries, that is, the territory that consisted for the most part of present-day Belgium and the (Kingdom of the) Netherlands, as Spain didn't accept the Flemish Protestants' (i.e. the Dutch) independence for many years. Present-day Flanders is roughly just the Flemish- (Dutch-) speaking part of the Kingdom of Belgium. – JMVanPelt Apr 6 '15 at 0:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.