What is the difference between Como estas and Como estás with an accent??? Does it mean something else???

Cómo estás is:

"how" + the informal conjugated form of estar; the unshortened phrase is ¿Cómo estás tú? Note the accent in "cómo¨ which is placed due to this being a question.

"How are you?"

===========================================================

Como estas is:

"how/like" + "these" ... followed by a feminine plural object. (Likewise for example, como este would be "how this" followed by a masculine singular noun.)

So this would be part of a larger sentence typically.

===========================================================

Also, with the accent like so:

como éstas <-------- "how/like" + "these", same as above, except éstas with the accent is a pronoun and stands in for the object

| improve this answer | |

First of all, I'd like to say that it'd be better if you write the whole sentences, just to get the context.

However, I'll try to translate them both literally:

1. Como éstas => like these ones

Ex: Yo también tengo unas zapatillas como éstas.

2. Como éstas => eat these ones

Ex: Tú te comes esas patatas, yo me como éstas.

3. ¿Cómo estás? => How are you? (You have to write the graphic accent since it's a question)

4. Como estas => like these

Ex: Tus pulseras son tan bonicas como estas diademas.

| improve this answer | |
    5. Como estás => how you are – angus Feb 25 '15 at 13:00
    Be aware that, according to current ortography rules, writing éstas is no longer recommended. Cases 1. and 2. should be Como estas. – Gorpik Feb 25 '15 at 13:22
  • I agree with serfe 100% I'm not up-to-date on the rules of the Royal Academy of the Spanish language, but it makes sense to differenciate using the accent mark in serfe's second example. – aksub Feb 27 '15 at 3:25
  • Great anwser and <3 "bonicas" xD (I guess i can "xD" instead of "lol" here :D) – ElMesa Feb 14 '16 at 16:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.