What is the difference between casa and hogar. They both mean home, don't they?

• Here there is a really similar question. Although technically not a duplicate, I think the answers to this question may answer yours. – Diego Feb 11 '15 at 23:03
  • Still doesn't help. – Tia27 Feb 11 '15 at 23:48
    Could you be more specific? The difference is the same as between "house" and "home", plus you have all the extra information of the linked question. Maybe you should clarify what is giving you trouble. – Diego Feb 12 '15 at 3:22
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is answerable by a dictionary or other reference material. – Flimzy Feb 12 '15 at 15:37
    @MikMik: Then the OP can easily elaborate on their confusion and have the question re-opened. – Flimzy Feb 14 '15 at 0:32

No. "Casa" is a house. "Hogar" is a home. The former is more generic, while the latter assumes more of a personal connection/affinity for the place one lives in.

• Gracias mucho!! – Tia27 Feb 12 '15 at 5:07
  • How about "sentirse como en casa"? It does not refer to "a house", but rather to "home". – MikMik Feb 13 '15 at 14:27
  • @MikMik: "en casa" implies "en tu casa", which can also be interpreted as your home. – Paul Feb 13 '15 at 14:48
  • Yes, that's what I meant, that "casa" can have the "home" meaning too. – MikMik Feb 13 '15 at 15:26
  • @MikMik: No todas las casas son hogares, ni todos los hogares son casas. – Paul Feb 13 '15 at 16:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.