My understanding is that "work" is a lot more versatile than "trabajar." Trabajar is used to describe physical actions, such as

The man is working. -- El hombre está trabajando.

But what if I wanted to use work as a noun, such as saying "I would like have a meeting to share our work with Juan", would it be appropriate to use trabajo here, as in:

Reunión para hablar de nuestro trabajo con Juan?

This can depend on which sense of "work" you mean. If you mean "I would like to have a meeting to share our work (of art) with Juan" you might use "obra". If you mean "so we can share in the labor of working" you might say "labor", etc. – Flimzy Feb 10 '15 at 22:36
  • More along the line's of Juan's work (ie this project that Juan worked on, Juan's work") – overtime Feb 11 '15 at 15:34

Yes, you got it right. You can use trabajo in the context of

Me gustaría tener una reunión para hablar de nuestro trabajo con Juan? I would like have a meeting to share our work with Juan

Trabajo is the action of doing some work, its result, or even the job itself. You can also use "empleo" for "job", but at least in Spain people favor trabajo to describe a job.

Me gustaría tener una reunión para explicarle a Juan en qué consiste su nuevo trabajo I would like have a meeting to explain Juan in what consists his new job

Trabajar is a verb. You are right when you say it describes the action of doing work, but it doesn't need to be physical work.

Finalmente he encontrado un nuevo trabajo (empleo)

Este documento es mi trabajo de fin de carrera

Cuidar de un bebé es mucho trabajo

Te felicito. Has hecho un buen trabajo con este proyecto.

| improve this answer | |

If the meeting is for talk about Juan's job (work position or some stuff related to him) the translation would be:

Me gustaría tener una reunión para compartir nuestro trabajo con Juan.

Hence IMO, the word trabajo works as a noun here too.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.