My girlfriend is from Mexico and I'm from the States. I have a very limited Spanish vocabulary, an I'm getting her a gift for our anniversary.

It will be a lighter with the phrase "Nuestro amor arde para siempre" engraved on it. Yes, I am aware that this is corny ;)

I just want to know if that phrase is both grammatically correct, and carries the same meaning as the English phrase, "Our love burns forever".

Thanks!

• Did you try sent her the same message in English? She has some level of English language?. A option could be Nuestro amor durará para siempre. – Mauricio Arias Olave Jan 21 '15 at 17:56
  • Yes she is fluent in English, but I am learning Spanish and would like to give this to her in Spanish. Also, I would like to use the phrase "burns forever" instead of "lasts forever". – Ryan Steffer Jan 21 '15 at 17:59

I am spanish and I should use:

"Nuestro amor arderá eternamente" or "Nuestro amor arderá para/por siempre".

Using "arde" instead of "arderá" is really strange for me. It sounds really bad.

Sorry for my bad english.

"Arde" is the absolutely right verb form for "burns" (and I assume that you want to stick with "burns" and not "will burn" [arderá] or other verb forms). Your sentence is grammatically correct.

I would favor (and might be a personal preference) a translation like:

Nuestro amor arde eternamente

But "para siempre" is OK. You could even go with "por siempre":

Nuestro amor arde para siempre

Nuestro amor arde por siempre

I don't know if there's a regional preference in Mexico between "para siempre" and "por siempre", but it wouldn't be a huge difference. Your proposal ("Nuestro amor arde para siempre") is perfectly OK if you want to go with it. It would be a completely personal preference to judge the poetic value of eternamente, para siempre and por siempre. I just offered those you want other options to consider.

• Great, thanks for the extra options as well! – Ryan Steffer Jan 21 '15 at 21:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.