I know that conmigo is standard grammar, as prescribed by RAE. However, on a couple of occasions I've also seen people using con yo. If that helps, I saw that in a Spanish language chatroom where a lot of colloquialism was being thrown around. My question is, is it just plain wrong colloquialism? Or is it possible that con yo is actually the preferred version in some dialect of Spanish somewhere? If so, which dialect would that be?

• Can you add more context or examples in which situations you saw people using con yo? – Mauricio Arias Olave Jan 8 '15 at 13:32
    In some places "yo con yo" is a slang expression for "masturbate". But it's purposedly wrong, in a funny way. I don't think "con yo" is correct in any dialect. – leonbloy Jan 8 '15 at 14:10
  • I've never heard that "con yo". – Jdamian May 10 '16 at 11:38

My vote is for "plain wrong".

I don't think is a colloquialism, nor that a Spanish dialect would admit it, much less as a preferred version. It is just that some people, even native speakers, make some mistakes when speaking.

My 5 year old nephew for example used to say "more good" and "more bad", and the adults would teach the proper ways ("better" and "worse"). I have heard similar things from adults, and this may not mean that the are uneducated or illiterate. Sometimes we just don't realize it when we talk, or you kind of change your mind in mid-sentence, and you end up saying one of these.

Same applied to Spaniards. I remember one of my teachers saying

A quién no se le ha escapado alguna vez un "haiga" (wrong conjugation of "Haber" in presente subjuntivo "haiga" instead of "haya")

I have heard "con yo" (when should have been conmigo), "andé" (when should have been anduve), "conducí" (when should have been conduje), etc. Probably I have said them too, without even realizing and without people correcting me.

So, either people in the chatroom were doing it on purpose to sound funny, or they were using poor Spanish. Honest mistake, I'm sure, but can't be considered a colloquialism and it goes too much against grammar rules to be considered the preferred or accepted form in a Spanish dialect.

• "it goes too much against grammar rules to be considered the preferred or accepted form in a Spanish dialect" eh.. you'd be surprised about how easily some of those rules can be bent and/or broken. I feel like that part of the answer is pretty unnecessary. Like one of the comments reflects, it's possible that con yo is slang somewhere. – clinch Jan 8 '15 at 21:01
  • Slang is by definition a lexicon of non-standard words and phrases in a given language. So as a subversion of the correct form it can't be considered the preferred form. I also can't picture the language authorities of anywhere saying that the preferred form involves a bad use of the language. Surely rules can be bent (poetic license), ignored or broken (bad use of the language), and sometimes the RAE would even adapt to the usage of the language and assimilate them. I just don't don't think is the case for this situation. – Diego Jan 8 '15 at 21:39
  • non-standard doesn't mean something is wrong. The only "authorities" in language are native speakers themselves. The RAE doesn't dictate how people speak, it just documents it. – clinch Jan 9 '15 at 0:13
  • That is what I'm saying in the last part of my comment. If suddenly everyone started to say "abrido" instead of "abierto" sooner or later the RAE would assimilate it to the grammar rules. Thus said, I don't think is the case for this "con yo" situation. Take into account that "loísmo", "laísmo" and "leísmo" are not considered slang, nor a preferred form anywhere. They are "improper use" in spite of being wide spread. I see no evidence that this phenomena is widespread enough to even consider it "conyoísmo". Evolution of the language and wrong usage are two different things. – Diego Jan 9 '15 at 3:12
  • But you would think that these kinds of mistakes, even if they happened in speech, wouldn't occur when typing it out on a chatroom. – Aprendedor May 16 '15 at 21:09

It is just a way of joking around. It is wrong and people knows that but you say it to your friends to sound funny or closer and make emphasis in what you want to say. You can say it in relaxed moments, or whenever you want, but if the situation gets serious you may sound out of context by saying it.

It's common to say wrong things in these cases.

For the record, I've NEVER heard "con yo", and I've been Spanish for the last 35 years, and using Internet chat rooms for the last 20-something :-) – Jcl Jan 8 '15 at 9:52
  • @Jcl it really depends on what kind of chats you frequent. If they're chats filled with people who care about writing in a standard fashion, you'll miss out on a lot of slang and colloquial expressions. – clinch Jan 9 '15 at 0:15
  • @clinch in over 20 years chatting online, I've frequented all kind of internet chat rooms. I might have been just (un)lucky ;-) – Jcl Jan 9 '15 at 0:23
    @ORION "con yo" in the context of this question would literally mean: "with I"... same as you say "with me" in english (not "with I"), you don't say "con yo" in Spanish, you say "conmigo" :-) – Jcl Oct 13 '16 at 19:40
    @Jcl - Sooo it turns out most of the time they are saying coño, not "con yo"... I figured out what that meant.. – ORION Oct 19 '16 at 3:15

The phrase con yo AFAIK is incorrect, there's no use really in the Spanish language. However, I heard some expressions like this example:

• A yo me gustaría viajar por el mundo.

Translation:

• I would like to travel around the world.

Here, a yo is an informal and regional way of referring to the first person I / me (I heard these kind of expressions from people from Boyacá Department).

NOTE: This must be considered an optional answer without having evidence of usage or history background.

• Maybe in your region, in the rest of the world you cannot say "A yo", it'd be "A mí". That option is completely incorrect. – serfe Jan 8 '15 at 15:20
  • @serfe ...in the rest of the world you cannot say a yo ... I'm not saying that this is correct, again: The phrase con yo AFAIK is incorrect. – Mauricio Arias Olave Jan 8 '15 at 19:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.