I'm trying to say "it's obvious that he is familiar with their culture..." I know conocer is to be familiar with, but would that work in this situation? I've also heard that "saber de" is another option.

2 Answers 2

As Diego explains, between those two options conocer works better. But if you want a more precise translation and you don't mind being a little more verbose you can use estar familiarizado:

Es obvio que él está familiarizado con su cultura.

Conocer works best for you example:

Es obvio que él conoce su cultura.

You could use saber too, but is a little bit tricky here. You can say that somebody "sabe de matemáticas" or "sabe de XXX" to convey that they have a pretty good knowledge about the topic, but if you said

Él sabe de su cultura

You would be saying "He is aware of their culture". To make it work with saber you need first to use an adverb (e.g. bastante or mucho), to change the meaning of the verb by quantifying his degree of knowledge, so it stops implying that he knows something but that he knows a lot about it.

Él sabe mucho de su cultura

Also, you could use the locution "acerca de" which is used to point to what is being discussed or explained. Even then might not be enough and you m

Él sabe bastante acerca de su cultura.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.