In English, there are quite a few words to describe materials used to pad and insulate packages that are being shipped from one place to another:

  • packing peanuts or foam peanuts are individual pieces of small foam
  • bubble wrap describes sheets of plastic with many small embedded bubbles of air
  • Styrofoam is a material often found padding objects during shipment
  • shrink wrap is a plastic film that forms a seal over an object
  • padding refers generally to any material that cushions objects
  • packing materials is a general term describing any of the objects above

How would each of these terms be best translated to Spanish?

2 Answers 2



  • packing peanuts: there's no formal word. On my neck of the woods, we use "palomitas" (popcorn)
  • bubble wrap: papel de burbujas
  • Styrofoam: again, no formal word that I know of. I use "porexpán", which I believe is a commercial name for the product (you can check other names elsewhere in http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliestireno_expandido )
  • shrink wrap: no specific name... "plástico"
  • padding: relleno
  • packing materials: material de embalaje or material para empaquetar
  • 1
    A Colombian would translate packing peanuts as bolitas de icopor and Styrofoam as Icopor (Industria COlombiana de PORosos - ICOPOR). Other than that; same as Alex's answer.
    – Icarus
    Dec 21, 2011 at 18:54
  • @Icarus: You should make your own answer so we can upvote that one too. :) Dec 21, 2011 at 21:25
  • @ethan furman thanks, I will do that next time :)
    – Icarus
    Dec 21, 2011 at 22:55

In Bolivia, I learned "PLASTOFOR" for STYROFOAM, and in Chile we call it "PLUMAVIT". All three are presumably brand names or trademarks for "poliestireno expandido", the generic name for a relatively modern material. Shrink wrap is known in Chile as "alusa" or as "estretch film".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.