Both mean "laziness" according to the dictionary. Is there any difference in usage? Regional preference?

I would say that flojera mainly refers to a physical aspect ("flojo"= sin fuerza). I have always used pereza for laziness and flojera to a hindrance to physical work (maybe because you are feeling down the weather or something similar, you feel too weak or are exhausted). So to me flojera means something closer to "weakness" or "exhaustion" than an unwillingness to do something.

• Is flojedad any different from flojero?
    – TheLearner
    Dec 7 '14 at 16:56
    @AmitSchandillia, was that a typo? I have never heard "flojero". The proper adjetive would be "fojo/floja" to refer so somebody "Luis es un flojo. No puede levantar ni 5 kilos". Flojera would be a synonym of "flojedad", and at least in Spain, would be more used than "flojedad". "Me ha entrado la flojera (cansancio)" is OK, but instead of "flojedad" people would use "debilidad": "Es una debilidad (instead of flojedad) de este material" .
    – Diego
    Dec 7 '14 at 19:56
  • Ohh yes that was a typo...I meant flojera. Sorry.
    – TheLearner
    Dec 8 '14 at 2:54
  • @AmitSchandillia, no worries! I just didn't know if it was a typo or you had a question about a declination of the word, so I tried to cover as much as I could.
    – Diego
    Dec 8 '14 at 3:24

It's also a regional preference. For example in Argentina nobody would say 'flojera', but we do know the meaning (it's very common to hear it in movies or series dubbed in México)

• And there´s an even more colloquial way to say it in México: "hueva".
    – Jose Maria
    Dec 9 '14 at 6:32
  • Perezoso is very clear: negligente, tardo, lento, descuidado, flojo
  • Flojo is regional, and could be interpreted as lazy, with no firm convictions, or even gay in Cuba
  • Huevón another regional, and vulgar expression. could be interpreted as lazy or courageous, or an idiot (depends on the region), but referring to a lazy person, it is more graphical. Este es un huevonazo!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.