I'm trying to say "the story starts suddenly as if to represent an intentional eclipse..."

Would it be:

"El cuento empieza de repente como si fuera para representar" or "El cuento empieza de repente como si fuera representar"

I thought it was the last one, but Google translate told me it was the first option.

I think the correct answer would be

... empieza de repente como si fuera para representar

You can't actually say "como si fuera representar", the way to say it is:

... empieza de repente como si fuera a representar un eclipse.

This second one would mean something closer to the first one (like if it was to represent and eclipse). I think you could go with both prepositions, para and a and there would be no practical difference.

You could also use:

... empieza de repente como si representara

The subjuntivo is a verb tense that can show purpose, wish, uncertainty or doubt, among other things, so I think works well for this transaltion.

| improve this answer | |
  • It's worth mentioning that they are two different verbs, ser and ir. The forms in indicative would be "es para representar" and "va a representar". – angus Dec 8 '14 at 11:02

The correct way to say it would be

El cuento empieza de repente como representando ...

I realize that it will not translate through an online translator correctly, but online translators aren't the least bit reliable. At the least, they can provide you with a start research more, like with DRAE.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.