I was looking for ways to translate "tracksuit" or "windbreaker" and came across cortaviento and chándal. Which one of the two is preferred in Mexican or Latin American spanish?

  • 1
    In Chile is unknown. A while advertising a brand of clothing used the French word "chandail" to refer to what we know as "buzo" (sporty two-piece suit) but did not work.
    – Rodrigo
    Nov 26, 2014 at 14:09
  • 1
    My understanding (from the usage in castilian Spanish) is that "chándal" is a two piece sportwear (pants and upper part) while "cortavientos" is just a single piece of clothing (that you could actually wear on top of your "chándal" when jogging/running if its cold, rainy or windy).
    – Diego
    Nov 26, 2014 at 15:38
  • 1
    The common word in Colombia (or at least in Bogotá) is «cortavientos» (as many other verb-noun composed words, it usually ends in «-s», even with a singular article). The word «chándal» is alien to me. Nov 26, 2014 at 17:06
  • @CarlosEugenioThompsonPinzón Is contravientos also used for tracksuits in Colombia?
    – TheLearner
    Nov 26, 2014 at 17:18
  • 2
    This reference implies that is not known im Mexico, and pans (or pants) is used instead (but maybe Rodrigo will want to help validating that content. Is really salida de cancha used?).
    – Diego
    Nov 26, 2014 at 21:09

1 Answer 1


So, we knew that the Wiktionary explained what a chándal is in castilian Spanish, and gave a couple of synonyms for other countries that have been validated by some users in the comments (such as buzo in Chile).

I found a Mexican online clothing store and tried, successfully, to find a chándal. Interestingly, they use chamarra to designate the upper part of the chándal and not chaqueta or chaquetilla.

So, it seems that in Mexico they use, or at least would understand chándal. I tried to find the pan/pants that the Wiktionary say is the Mexican word for chándal and it seems to be another piece of sportwear, but just the lower part (pantalones).

Just to be sure, I checked more than one Mexican online store, and there I could find a chándal, pants de chándal (no "pantalones de chándal" that would be said in Spain, for example) and chamarras.

So I would say that chándal is commonly used in Mexico (and Spain) but not in all the other countries (we know is buzo in Chile thanks to Rodrigo and cortavientos in Colombia thanks to Carlos Eugenio).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.