Wiktionary tells me both are underwear, calzón for women and calzoncillos for men. However, when I looked up the words on Google images (something I always do with new words to get a better idea of real-life meanings), I see a mix of underwear for both genders for either words. What gives? If it's a matter of regional preference, what are those preferences?

En Chile el calzón es de mujer y el calzoncillo de hombre, tal como dice Wictionary. En el último tiempo, se hace la diferencia entre un tipo de prenda anticuado y pudorosa (calzón y calzoncillo) y otros tipos más modernos y específicos (tanga, bikini, pantaleta, bóxer, slip, zunga). Vale decir, si en una tienda ofrecen "calzones" uno esperaría que fueran para señoras mayores o niñas pequeñas.
    – Rodrigo
    Nov 26, 2014 at 13:58
    To Rodrigo's list I would add "culotte", which actually comes from a French word. I have never heard of "zunga" before (not used in Spain), and also I think that bikini is not really underwear, but a two piece swimsuit. I agree that "calzones" sounds like something our grandparent's used to wear...
    – Diego
    Nov 26, 2014 at 15:35

3 Answers 3

In Spain nobody favors the use of calzón for feminine intimate wear. They are referred as bragas, aways in plural even if it is just one piece of clothing. The word braga, in singular, is a different piece of clothing: a sort of scarf.

To refer to men underwear people usually use calzoncillos. I think that, on rare occasions, you could hear "calzones", but not calzón to refer to men's underwear. Younger people will also favor the use of slip o gayumbos(for boxer type. See and example) depending on their shape to designate men's underwear, besides 'calzoncillos`.

A mi "bragas" me suena a Sancho Panza...
    – Rodrigo
    Nov 26, 2014 at 14:00
    @Rodrigo, a mi "calzón". Quizá "calzones" también. Parecen palabras de otra época.
    – Diego
    Nov 26, 2014 at 14:20
  • @Rodrigo, where are you from and what's the word preferred in your country?
    – TheLearner
    Nov 26, 2014 at 15:07
    @AmitSchandillia: My comment is the third in your question. In summary, in Chile it is like what it says Wictionary. But there is a difference of type: 'calzones' and 'calzoncillos' are larger and less elegant than other types
    – Rodrigo
    Nov 26, 2014 at 15:17
  • Ahh, sorry for the redundant question and thanks for clarifying. The comment wasn't there when I asked you about your country.
    – TheLearner
    Nov 26, 2014 at 15:22

In Colombia, I only had referenced (calzón) for female underpants that it covers intimate and buttocks areas, extending until the half of her stomach is like a big calzoncillo, while (calzoncillos) are underpants for men that cover genital and buttocks areas, limiting to waist.

+1, I like your definition of calzoncillos, because it explains what they are regardless the type (slip or boxer) and excludes tangas, that nobody would designate as "calzoncillos" in Spain. Very accurate.
    – Diego
    Nov 26, 2014 at 16:57

In Chile "calzón" is for women and "calzoncillo" for men, as Wictionary says.

In recent times, it is there "calzones/calzoncillos" are used to refer to a type of outdated clothing, unlike other more modern and specific types (tanga, bikini, pantaleta, boxer, slip, zunga).

That is, if a store offer "calzones" one would expect them to be for old ladies and little girls.

However, as general concepts anyone understood that a "pantaleta" is a type of "calzón".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.