Both translate as burp or belch. Although each might have other connotations as well, I am only interested in the Spanish for a burp. What's the difference and if it's just dialectical, which one of the two is preferred in your country (I am more keen on Latin America or Mexico)?

"regüeldo" is a kind of burp with odor, and is generally more disgusting. Burp is translated as "eructo" wich is more common here in Spain.

• Really! The odor bit is interesting since none of the dictionaries mention that. Is this connotation specific to Spain? – TheLearner Nov 11 '14 at 15:05
    Seems not. RAE (Real Academia de la lengua Española : Royal Academy of Spanish Language) mentions it as "releasing the gases from the stomach". As for common use, "eructo" is the common word, when "regüeldo" is less used. – diego.martinez Nov 11 '14 at 15:14
    I've never heard regüeldo in Mexico. – Jaime Nov 13 '14 at 11:16
    It's important to mention that "regüeldo" is not used in México. While "eructar" is the most correct and common, we also use "repetir". – Jose Maria Nov 18 '14 at 2:48

The 'Diccionario de la Real Academia' defines
eructar (the verb from which 'eructo' comes)

1. intr. Expeler con ruido por la boca los gases del estómago.

regoldar (the verb from which 'regüeldo' comes)

1. intr. Eructar los gases del estómago.

So they are synonyms.

• Great +1. Until today I didn't know regüeldo nor regoldar. In hispanoamerica we always use eructo/eructar – DGaleano Oct 23 '16 at 14:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.