Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From the Oxford dictionary:

sour grapes

used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves:

government officials dismissed many of the complaints as sour grapes

Is there an equivalent or similar expression in Spanish?

share|improve this question
add comment

5 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The precise translation may vary depending on the context, but envidia captures the meaning of sour grapes; take a look at the definition according to the DRAE:

envidia.

(Del lat. invidĭa).

1. f. Tristeza o pesar del bien ajeno.

2. f. Emulación, deseo de algo que no se posee.

In your concrete example, I would say something like:

Los representantes del gobierno rechazaron la mayoría de las quejas por considerarlas producto de la envidia.

share|improve this answer
add comment

My Larousse Gran Diccionario translates it this way:

IDIOM it's (a case of) sour grapes es cuestión de despecho

So there may not be an equivalent idiom, or at least not a widely used one.

Despecho is usually used more in love affairs though it could apply to any other areas (but quite unusual). If I hear "ella está despechada" I would think automatically that she had problems with love. –  Juanillo Dec 16 '11 at 14:40

I't always good to learn about the limits of your dictionaries! –  hippietrail Dec 17 '11 at 7:42
add comment

Apart from "envidia" given by Gonzalo Medina, maybe "frustración" can also match the meaning:

El gobierno desestimó muchas de las quejas por ser producto de la frustración.

add comment

I think this idiom comes from the Aesop's fable The Fox and the Grapes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes. Thus, the most exact (but not necessarily the best) translation would be "uvas verdes", which refers to the same frustration feeling. Please note that it is not a spanish expression in common use.

add comment

Could you say ¡qué envidia! (like you all would say ¡qué lastima!), or something like that?

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.