Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have seen bastante translated as enough, plenty, or even too much. What range of meanings does bastante have? How can you determine whether it means just enough or too much?

share|improve this question
Too much is better translated as demasiado –  belisarius Dec 15 '11 at 22:26
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think the spectrum is comparable with English:

• insuficiente - not enough / insufficient
  • suficiente - enough / sufficient
  • bastante - plenty
  • demasiado - too much

I usually hear 'bastante' used when implying more than 'enough'; although it's not exactly the same as 'plenty', it's pretty close in a lot of cases:

Comí suficiente. "I ate enough" (ie, but no more)

Comí bastante. "I ate plenty" (ie, as much as I could possibly want)

Comí demasiado. "I ate too much" (ie, now I feel sick)

share|improve this answer
add comment

According to the RAE, bastante means "enough" or "quite a bit", like c4sh says in their answer. I've never seen it translated as too much:

bastante.

1. adj. Que basta.
  2. adv. c. Ni mucho ni poco, ni más ni menos de lo regular, ordinario o preciso; sin sobra ni falta.
  3. adv. c. No poco. Es bastante rico Bastante bella

And these are all the meanings listed.

add comment
  1. Enough (or just enough)

"Ya he tenido bastante!" (I've had enough of this!). Maybe this is the meaning you confuse with "too much".

2. Quite

"Mi perro es bastante viejo" (My dog is quite old).

Agreed. I've never seen bastante used to mean too much. –  Kevin K. Dec 15 '11 at 23:30
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.