Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What suffixes are used to indicate jobs? Please provide examples.

share|improve this question

These are normally called "agent" or "agentive" suffixes. –  hippietrail Dec 14 '11 at 8:29
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Common sufixes:

Taken from "Sufijos nominales en español", from Lucie Rossowová's Master Thesis, p. 30:

Noun suffixes denoting the "agent" of the action:

• -ero/-era (cocinero / cocinera)
  • -dor/-dora (cazador / cazadora)
  • -ante (cantante)
  • -ista (deportista)

We could add some other examples (some of them may be "allomorphs" of another one):

• -or/-ora (captor / captora)       (may be allomorph with -dor)
  • -or/-triz (actor / actriz)
  • -in/-ina (bailarín / bailarina)

Derived from a masculine substantive:

• -isa (poeta → poetisa; sacerdote → sacerdotisa)       (is only used with feminine nouns)

Some roots take more than one suffix in order to "build" different meanings:

• -ante (cantante)
  • -or (cantor)       (used at least in Chile to name a folklorist)

Regional variations:

• Andalusism:
    • -aor/-aora (bailaor / bailaora; cantaor / cantaora)       (in most cases is just the -dor suffix with its 'd' dropped.)

Not directly related to jobs:

• -logo/-loga (podólogo / podóloga; entomólogo / entomóloga)
    • This suffix relates to people who study or practice a science. As a side effect, they work on that field, but the suffix's main aim is not to emphasize the work done.
  • -atra (pediatra; psiquiatra)
    • Someone who heals using some field of the medical science.
share|improve this answer

There is also -ín_/_ina (e.g. bailarín) and aor in the Andalusisms bailaor, cantaor, and tocaor. –  Jaime Soto Dec 13 '11 at 22:15

@JaimeSoto: I've just included your comment because -in/-ina suffix is very important. Thanks! –  Nicolás Dec 13 '11 at 22:28

Probably also ólogo: podólogo, odontólogo. ico:médico, físico, atra: fisiatra, pediatra, –  belisarius Dec 15 '11 at 11:46

@belisarius: I've just expanded my answer including the suffixes "-logo" and "-atra". The word "médico" doesn't have a suffix "-ico", as far as I know. –  Nicolás Dec 19 '11 at 22:28
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.