Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The C++ programming language has several types of constructors (functions invoked when an object is being created):

• Default constructor: constructor por defecto.
  • Copy constructor: constructor de copia.

On the next revision of the language (C++11), there will be a new type of constructor called "move constructor". This constructor moves data from one temporal object to the new one.

However, I cannot find a proper translation, as constructor de movimiento or construcción de traslado sounds strange.

What would be an accurate way to translate this language element?

share|improve this question
Although constructor de movimiento is "closer" to move constructor, constructor de traslado implies its meaning correctly. I did not post this as an answer because I am just giving my opinion on your current suggestions. –  Jaime Soto Dec 12 '11 at 23:31

Sorry for the off-topic but I'm into C++ and haven't heard of move-constructors, how is it different from a copy constructor? it deletes the original object or something? –  Petruza Feb 9 '12 at 0:22

It allows to transfer resources from the object being copied. It is normally invoked when copying temporal objects that are going to be destroyed afterwards. –  J. Calleja Feb 9 '12 at 22:31
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

It seems that «constructor de movimiento» is more used, even in Espawiki, where they say:

Constructor de copia y constructor de movimiento se definen por el compilador, a menos que uno de ellos sea definido explícitamente

«Constructor de traslado» is a very fair translation, and may be it's more appropriate, but it's not so used.

share|improve this answer

:Welcome to the site. An upvote to get you going. –  Tom Au Dec 13 '11 at 0:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.