Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm currently writing an essay on the film Che, and I mention how it begins with the landing of Che and other revolutionaries in Cuba. However, I cannot find a proper translation of "landing" with respect to this context, only aterrizaje, which is used for plane landings I believe.

Could anyone give me a suitable translation for this word, or any alternatives?

share|improve this question
What is the context? – Rosenthal Aug 26 '14 at 21:23
@syrux el se esta refiriendo al desembarco del Granma. – Emilio Gort Aug 26 '14 at 22:47
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would simply use "la llegada", if "it begins with the landing of Che and other revolutionaries in Cuba" is the actual sentence you want to translate.

share|improve this answer

In the context of that specific moment when you arrive to some place on a boat or yacht the word would be:


to refer to the Desembarco del Granma

Granma is the name of the yacht in which Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Raúl Castro, and 79 of their supporters sailed from Mexico to Cuba in 1956 and incited the Cuban Revolution in 1959.

I'm Cuban.

share|improve this answer

la llegada would be the proper translation, since it's an essay, I would use a more formal approach and go with el arribo.

share|improve this answer
"El arrivo" is wrong spelling. You mean "el arribo". I'd choose "El desembarco" however. – betacentauri Aug 27 '14 at 2:31
Completely right @betacentauri , I keep messing up thinking of "arrive", good catch. – guillesalazar Aug 27 '14 at 14:13

I think there are some different possible translations:

  • Desembarco, when it refers to a boat or sea ship

  • Amerizaje, when it refers to any kind of ship

  • Arribo, in case it's not actually a ship or vehicle which has came

share|improve this answer
Amerizaje is used when an aircraft lands on water (i.e. a seaplane) not when somebody lands from a boat in water into land. Similarly Alunizaje for a spacecraft landing on the moon – deStrangis Sep 1 '14 at 11:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.