Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, when you quote text or speech that you know has nonstandard usage, such as misspellings or nonstandard grammar, it is typical to use '(sic)' to indicate that you know what you're quoting is wrong, but that you're doing it intentionally.

From dictionary.com:

sic /sik; Eng. sɪk/

adverb Latin .
so; thus: usually written parenthetically to denote that a word, phrase, passage, etc., that may appear strange or incorrect has been written intentionally or has been quoted verbatim: He signed his name as e. e. cummings (sic)

Since this is Latin in origin, I can imagine the same would be used in Spanish, but is it?

share|improve this question
If a Latin expression is used in English there's a 99.9% chance that it's usable in Spanish as well. Not 100% because there might be exceptions, although none that comes off the top of my head. –  DeStrangis Feb 25 '13 at 12:50
Exceptions can be "i.e." or "e.g.", I don't know if they are accepted, but they are not commonly used. –  machlas May 30 '13 at 9:44

@DeStrangis Could you pinpoint those accepted? –  c.p. Apr 30 at 17:53

1 Answer 1

up vote 17 down vote accepted

Yes, sic or (sic) is also used in Spanish. From DRAE:

sic. (Del lat. sic, así).

1. adv. U. en impresos y manuscritos españoles, por lo general entre paréntesis, para dar a entender que una palabra o frase empleada en ellos, y que pudiera parecer inexacta, es textual.
share|improve this answer
+1, (sic) is also used in newspapers. –  dusan Dec 8 '11 at 20:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.