Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On my bag of Pumpkin seeds (from Bulgaria, which I like a lot more than other pumpkin seeds, which are bigger and flatter), It has the English (not Bulgarian) description:

Pumpkin Seeds Roasted & Salted

...which is translated thus:

Semillas de Calabaza Tostadas & Saladas

Why would the "&" be retained? In English it makes sense, because that single character replaces three characters ("and") but in the case of the Spanish it doesn't, as the word that the ampersand represents ("y") is a single character. Wouldn't this be a preferable translation:

Semillas de Calabaza Tostadas y Saladas

?

share|improve this question

& is a shortening of the Latin et, from which the Spanish y is derrived. When you consider this, your question seems a bit backwards--why does English, which is not derived from Latin, use &? But that's a question for another site :) –  Flimzy Aug 19 at 11:24
Even the English name ampersand derives partly from latin (and per se and). Though you are right, @Flimzy, this is not a question for this forum. –  Gorpik Aug 19 at 11:53

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Yes, it'd be preferable as y. Although & is certainly permissible in Spanish (in fact, the DRAE surprisingly still recognizes the full word et as a valid Spanish conjunction, although labeling it as desusado), when standing in for y, it's rarely used since & takes more time to type or write. In older Spanish, you'd see it occasionally fill in for etcétera as &cetera or &c. (the latter of which sees some use in English). In modern day Spanish, it's mainly used commercial, mostly I think to give a foreign flair.

The only time I'd ever see it necessary might be if there'd be a situation where, for instance, you have two people's surnames names and you want to make it clear there are two people rather than just one person with the conjunction y in between his/her surnames. But that'd be such a rare circumstance (maybe multi-author parenthetical citations?) for confusion I can't even think of one off the top of my head, and frankly commas work just as nicely haha.

share|improve this answer

It's actually not that rare. It's commonly used for the name of partnerships, like a lawyer's office: Feregrino & Villalobos, for example. –  Francisco Zarabozo Aug 19 at 18:13
@FranciscoZarabozo That's probably a good example of exactly that situation I mentioned :) If a law office were Feregrino y Villalobos, you wouldn't know if it's one person or two. Using & forces the two-person interpretation. –  guifa Aug 19 at 18:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.