Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

English

I notice that native Spanish speakers often leave off accents in writing. Outside the context of edited material, it almost seems like accent pedantry is the sign of someone who has learned Spanish as a second language or has their spell-checker properly configured.

Do native Spanish speakers appreciate properly-placed accents in writing or does it not much matter? (Which is to say, should I spend my time looking up accents or am I wasting my time?)

Español

Me doy cuenta de que los hablantes nativos de español a menudo se dejan los acentos al escribir. Fuera del contexto de material editado, casi parece que la pedantería para poner acentos es el signo de uno que ha aprendido español como segundo idioma o tiene su corrector ortográfico configurado correctamente.

¿Aprecian los hablantes nativos de español los acentos correctamente colocados al escribir o no importa mucho? (Quiero decir, ¿debería emplear tiempo buscando acentos o estoy perdiendo el tiempo?

share|improve this question
es kmo lo mas importante! xk sin los acentos, nadie puede entender lo k dices xk la escritura de los nativos siempre es correcta. –  Flimzy Nov 15 '11 at 22:50
@Flimzy Entendí todo lo que dijiste, falta xk. ¿Qué significa xk? –  Peter Olson Nov 16 '11 at 13:23
x = por (como en multiplicacion), k = ke, xk = por que –  vartec Nov 16 '11 at 13:36

I'm adding the tag "diacritics" because it's a much better term than "accents". Firstly it will cover ñ and ü as well as á é í ó and ú and even archaic ones like ç. Secondly it is unambiguous because "accent" also has the more common meaning of "way of speaking particular to a certain region". –  hippietrail Nov 20 '11 at 8:30
@hippietrail, should that description of diacritics tag be added to diacritics tag summary? –  dusan Nov 20 '11 at 14:16
show 2 more comments

11 Answers 11

up vote 40 down vote accepted

Accents are important anywhere you want to use formal language, look professional, etc. Places where using "correct" Spanish is important. Writing an article for publication, a letter to a superior, in exams.

Despite what other people say in their answers, leaving out accents doesn't result in sore eyes, confused readers, hard to read text. If you're writing to somebody who you know likes everything proper you should expect this to irritate them. Generally people that don't like slang also won't like omitted accents.

I would compare it exactly to writing English in all lower case and omitting apostrophes.

Almost all of my friends from Spanish speaking countries never use accents when writing on the Internet, in emails, Facebook, instant messaging, SMS.

It's a matter of style. When you want to be formal, stick to the official orthography, with all the accents, punctuation, and capitalization used as the RAE advises. If you don't you will be interpreted as at least lazy and unprofessional, but perhaps worse.

If you are a young person chatting via keyboard to other young people, you don't have to be formal, just like in English. Your friends might even find it a bit stilted if you're too formal.

In fact in instant messaging and SMS I find my Spanish speaking friends go much further and use lots of special slang spellings I don't know at all - just like people do in English.

It's probably a good idea to be consistent though. It will be less pleasant for some people to read if you phase in and out of accent usage in a single piece of writing. In this case it will seem a lot more like spelling mistakes like mixing up "to" and "too" or "their" and "there" and "they're" in English. Context will show which word you mean but your wrong spellings will throw the reader off.

I do note however that when Spanish is written in all capitals that the accents will fairly often be omitted even in places where you might expect more formality and even though the RAE says the accents should always be used even in all capitals.

In short: You might make a faux pas if you leave them out, but you'll never make a faux pas if you put them in. Other than the cool kids sometimes thinking you're not cool (-;

share|improve this answer
Good answer. It is true that accents should be used even when all letters are capital. Although this rule is often contested by native speakers. When I was in school my literature and philosophy teachers always took a point off when an accent was not there. For us while reading a book or article accents are very important and demonstrate the dominion of the author in Spanish. Personally, when I don't see them it burns my eyes, but I guess that's product of my spanish literature nazi teacher... –  Joze Nov 16 '11 at 13:11
Not using accents and proper punctuation make texts more difficult to read, because you have to keep trying to deduce what the writer meant. Not writing the accent in "camion" probably has no effect in the understandability of the text, but when the accent changes the meaning, omitting it makes you have to read twice or more to understand the meaning. –  MikMik Dec 27 '11 at 9:34
@hippietrail: -1 It's not a matter of style. Not using the necessary diacritics, or misusing them, is wrong grammar. As simple as that. –  CesarGon Dec 31 '11 at 17:47
Diacritics are not grammar. –  hippietrail Dec 31 '11 at 19:05
@hippietrail: I get your point. But we shouldn't forget that the correctness of Spanish grammar and orthography is prescribed by a central authority, whereas English is not. Regarding "importance", that's fine, but importance for whom or what? Importance for being understood, for being correct, for keeping up the appearance, etc.? My point is that Spanish has an absolute concept of right vs. wrong, and it is important to be right rather than wrong. –  CesarGon Apr 16 '12 at 14:32
show 8 more comments

As a native speaker, I would say you should try to write them everywhere, unless you are in a particular situation when writing with perfect orthography is difficult or impossible (e.g., writing an urgent sms). In general I have found that many spanish native speakers find annoying reading spanish text without correct accents.

:) I am far for being an authority, but questions about human language are often subtle, and cannot be answered as a math question. As a native, (granted, not in every case) often you just know the answer because you and the people in your environment have dealt with that kind of situations most of your life. In this concrete question, I know that many native spanish speakers feel annoyed when reading something without accents. But I partially agree with you, maybe this answer was too informal, though probably not incorrect. Cheers ! –  Sergio May 31 '12 at 20:12

just edited the answer and made it a bit less informal :) –  Sergio May 31 '12 at 20:26
add comment

Accents are essential when there is a possibility of confusion.

The Real Academia Española recognizes that there are occasions when accents may be omitted. The words éste or aquél, for example, don't require an accent when there is no risk of confusing the word with the adjective.

By comparison, o should have an accent when it comes between numerals, in order to help distinguish it from the number zero: 5 ó 6. (Note: this "rule" very recently changed so that o does not require the accent.)

My general rule: they are often not required, but always a good idea.

¡Hola, Richard! It's good to see a familiar face. Did you mean to leave off the accents in the two examples you gave? It sounds like contradictory advice. (And s/consfusing/confusing/. ;-) –  Jon Ericson Nov 15 '11 at 23:52

@JonEricson Hey! Yeah, the way it was written made it sound like those were examples. Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated it to make more sense. ;) –  Richard Nov 16 '11 at 12:19

The thing is the accent can be omitted only on SOME words. But most accented words REQUIRE it to distinguish themselves from other words. For instance with past tense and present tense or with homonyms. :-) –  Joze Nov 16 '11 at 12:24
There's an error in your answer: since the last edition of the Ortografía de la Lengua Española, the letter "o" doesn't have an accent when it comes between numerals: Supresión de la tilde diacrítica en la conjunción disyuntiva o escrita entre cifras –  Gonzalo Medina Nov 20 '11 at 0:48

@GonzaloMedina Nice find! I've updated my answer to note that new, and very recent change –  Richard Nov 21 '11 at 13:40
add comment

You definitely should. An accent can really make a difference when trying to understand a text. We, native speakers, can usually fully understand something without any accent, but it's much easier to read with them.

Also, to write spanish as the RAE says, you have to use them.

add comment

In my posts I use the native American translation of my Mexican name, the reason being I am also Native American as well. My name in Mexican is Garcia with an accent over the "i", I always use the traditional form with the accent over the "i" in all my signatures including my payroll signature and on my driver's license. My family name as it was passed down from the Spanish conquistadores was "de Garcia" however in modern times, the prefix "de" has since been dropped. Here on the Tex/Mex border we are proud of our heritage and continue to speak Mexican fluently on a daily basis throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Those who do not speak Mexican are at a disadvantage as many people here do not speak English well or do not speak English at all.

Mexican is not a language nor a dialect. You probably meant Spanish. –  Icarus Dec 20 '11 at 20:16
add comment

To a true Mexican, a properly placed accent shows respect for the purity of the written language as the accent is most often used in proper names and I am sure that you yourself would not much appreciate a mispronunciation of your name. For example, the letter "i" in my name is not dotted, it carries an accent over the i and I always make use of the accent when using my signature. In English, a 3 syllable word usually carries the accent over the first syllable, but in Mexican Spanish, the accent is usually over the 2nd syllable in a 3 syllable name and over the 1st in a 2 syllable name. So YES, it is a way of showing respect for one's heritage and is extremely important for a purist of the correct pronunciation of one's name.

What is your name, if you don't mind sharing that personal detail? Since you're using it as an example, and all... :) –  Flimzy Nov 16 '11 at 6:16
I agree with Roman, in México, there are surnames with accent like: González, Pérez, Martínez, Jiménez, Gómez, Vázquez, Hernández, García. And while sometimes skipping the accent will be acceptable, using it will always be considered polite. –  Omar Salinas Nov 23 '11 at 18:37

I think it's important that if you're including some accents you should include all accents. Leaving some out willy-nilly seems worse to me than leaving them all out. For instance if you wrote most accents but left out those in some peoples' names that would indeed look rude to me. –  hippietrail May 2 '12 at 15:43
add comment

Although it is possible to understand a text without accents, it would hurt your eyes.

In addition to this, some words change their meaning if you miss one accent (más/mas, él/el, té/te...).

add comment

It's not thaaaat important, people would still understand what you're trying to write if you miss some accents.

However, if you miss one, it will look like a stain in the paper.

Of course there are some words that DO NEED the accent because it changes the complete meaning of the word.. like "mas" and "más" or "él" and "el"

Or tú and tu. :) –  Alenanno Nov 15 '11 at 23:00
I disagree. I think they are thaaaaaaaaat important. Reading a piece of text with no proper accents is a pain. You have to read the lines 2, sometimes 3 times, to make sense of what the person is trying to communicate. –  Icarus Dec 20 '11 at 20:13
add comment

In my opinion the accents are very important to ease the readability of your text. Because Spanish is a inflectional language, we make from a single root many words (e.g. verbal conjugation) whose only difference is which syllable has the stress:

El camino (the road)

Él caminó (he walked)

Yo camino (I walk)

And also, we have the diacritic accent (éste vs este).

The Real Academia Española recognizes that there are occasions when accents may be omitted. See my answer for more information. (Although I do agree that they are important.) –  Richard Nov 15 '11 at 23:31
Another example is: el ejército (the army), yo ejercito (I exercise), él ejercitó (he exercised). –  dusan Nov 16 '11 at 0:14
Yeah but with context you know exactly what the person is saying. –  Timothy Martens Jan 10 '12 at 18:44

Even more importantly. It is a matter of writing properly. –  Sergio Romero May 2 '12 at 14:29
@hippietrail: You've just proven my point. As English is my second language I'm sure I make grammar mistakes often, but at the very least I always make sure that every single word is spelled properly. Accents in Spanish are a matter of spelling. –  Sergio Romero May 2 '12 at 15:45
show 2 more comments

You should absolutely use them - it's not a matter of pedantry. Otherwise you'll be forcing people to correct intonation in their minds - making any lengthy enough text a headache.

add comment

Yes. A lot of people appreciate it. Sometimes, if writing a quick message or SMS they are left off. There is not accent pedantry, most times they are useful and help the reader to go through your text faster.

add comment

protected by Joze Dec 9 '11 at 10:23

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.