Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Someone asked me, "que contiene el nombre Xxxx en ingles?". I thought "contener" was pretty much the same as "to contain" in English, and online dictionaries seem to agree. Is there some other meaning, or us this some idiom I'm not familiar with?

UPDATE Sorry, there's not really any context. It was a question asked in the chat for a cell phone game. If no one else knows more about this, maybe they just made a typo. It's an unusual name, so they probably meant to ask what it meant, but that doesn't seem to be what they typed.

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Emilio Gort, itziki, Gorpik, Nicolás, Alexis Pigeon Jul 16 at 10:31

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you provide some additional context? It's hard to know what might have been meant. –  Flimzy Jul 12 at 1:08

I don't understand the question –  Rosenthal Jul 12 at 1:09

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The R.A.E definition of 'contener' is, among others,

1. tr. Dicho de una cosa: Llevar o encerrar dentro de sí a otra. U. t. c. prnl.

which roughly translates to: to have something inside something else.

So, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say he's asking about some connotation or secret meaning the word has. To be honest, it's not something you'd probably say here in Spain (don't know if it might be a normal expression in latin american countries)

share|improve this answer
+1 I'm from Mexico, and it doesn't seem like something we'd say either... –  DarkAjax Jul 14 at 18:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.