Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the most universally-used greeting when answering the phone (i.e. way to say, "Hello?")? Are there any circumstances where the greeting would be different (for example, when answering a phone call where you already know who is calling)? What regional differences are there in this area from country to country?

share|improve this question
I am not answering because I can't remember where I heard the following phrases: "¿Aló?", "Hola", "¿Diga?", "Oigo", "¿Si?" ... –  belisarius Dec 7 '11 at 22:32
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

Complementing Alenanno's answer, I summarized this Wordreference thread :

• ¿Bueno?: Mexico
  • ¿Sí?: Mexico, Spain
  • ¿Aló?: Colombia, Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, Venezuela
  • Hola: Argentina
  • ¿Diga?: Spain, Argentina
  • ¿Dígame?: Spain
  • ¿Oigo?, ¿Dígame?: Cuba
share|improve this answer

I always heard bueno in Mexico. In Guatemala I remember alo. –  hippietrail Dec 8 '11 at 16:16
¿Sí? is also used in Spain –  Javi Dec 8 '11 at 21:57
The origin of Mexico's "¿bueno?", which means "good?", is that when the phone first came to the country, the operator would always answer like that in an attempt to verify if the connection was good. To this day almost everybody still answers the phone like that in most parts of the country. –  Sergio Romero Apr 30 '12 at 21:56
add comment

I found a page with some polite language on the phone in Spanish.

The "¿Bueno?" you see at the beginning is maybe understood by any Spanish speaker, but it seems it's mostly used in Mexico. In other Latin American countries they say "¿Aló?". In Spain they use "¿Dígame?" or ¿Diga?".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.