Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Both words broma and chiste translate to the English word joke. What's the difference between these two Spanish words, and how do I know when to use each one?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 14 down vote accepted

The main difference that comes to my mind is that chiste can be something witty that you tell, like a joke. For example, the "three guys walk into a bar..." thing.

While broma is a joke that you play on someone, such as putting a sign at the wrong place.

A broma inocente is a joke played on someone that makes the "victim" laugh together with the ones who did the joke, something light; while a broma pesada is a joke that went a little too far.

If we go worse than that, then we're talking about a burla.

share|improve this answer

And when I just make fun of someone, and want to say "I'm just just kidding," that's a broma, too, right? –  Flimzy Dec 5 '11 at 21:12
Yes, "estoy bromeando" or "es broma". To pull someone's leg is, instead, tomar el pelo a alguien. –  Alenanno Dec 5 '11 at 21:24
  • broma is like "prank" in English.

Example:

Le hicimos una broma a Carlos.

Aquellos niños le hicieron una broma pesada a Juan.

• chiste is like "to tell a joke".

Example

El profesor nos contó un chiste que nos hizo reir.

Yes, but 'broma' is also used in a widest sense that 'prank' –  Envite Dec 5 '13 at 21:53

Chiste is a relatively simple concept as explained in the other answers. The thing is that broma is a complex word that has many meanings:

• Bulla, algazara, diversión.
  • Chanza, burla.
  • Persona o cosa pesada y molesta.

You need many words in english to explain what broma really is: to make fun of, to mock, to kid around, to have fun.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.