Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In German we use Gossensprache, in English gutter language seems to be the most common synonym, but my dictionaries don't show me a spanish word for the language/jargon (often vulgar) spoken by ordinary people/teenager/kids on the street, in small groups, friend circles.

Is there a spanish expression for this kind of language?

share|improve this question
Related : – Dr. belisarius Dec 4 '11 at 12:28
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I'd say for gutter language:

Lenguaje vulgar


Lenguaje barriobajero

As suggested by Gonzalo Medina you can also say:

Lenguaje arrabalero

though in my opinion it's not as common as the others, at least in Spain.

share|improve this answer
Perhaps you could also add to your list lenguaje arrabalero. – Gonzalo Medina Dec 3 '11 at 19:52
@Gonzalo Medina added, thanks. – Javi Dec 3 '11 at 20:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.