Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Duolingo read me this sentence aloud and asked me to transcribe it:

No veo hombres sino mujeres.

I misunderstood what was said and typed:

No beben hombres sino mujeres.

I thought that that meant:

Men do not drink, but women do.

Does it mean that? Can sino compare subjects, or only objects (No quiero leche sino agua) and clauses (No corro sino camino)?

share|improve this question

A funny transcription, but a good question. :) –  Flimzy Jul 10 at 14:57
@Flimzy, I actually thought I'd heard "vev"/"beb" and assumed it must have been "beben" (and that I'd missed a quick "en"): in fact I'd misheard the final "o" as "v". Fwiw. –  msh210 Jul 10 at 17:36

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

Yes.

In fact, in the DRAE's first example for the adverb sino, you have the subject being contrasted: No lo hizo Juan, sino Pedro.

The only requirement is that the former element be negative, and the latter affirmative:

• No como, sino que bebo. (verb)
  • No comí yo, sino tú. (subj)
  • Comí una cena no muy grande, sino bastante pequeña. (adj)
  • etc.

With clauses, remember that clauses really just act as placeholders for other elements (hence the different types are termed noun clauses — used where nouns go —, adjective clauses, etc.)

share|improve this answer
+1, and many thanks. Since you cite the RAE, I'll give you the checkmark (as you must be right :-)). If anyone has further info (e.g. on dialectal use) in another answer, that'd be great, too. –  msh210 Jul 9 at 3:24
Also, technically, according to the DPD, when doing it with verbs, you should use sino que, although personally for short sentences like the above, it sounds weird to my ears (?*No como sino que bebo*). Anything longer, que will be pretty much obligatory (from the DPD: Prada no compraba la droga, sino que la vendía) –  guifa Jul 9 at 13:48
At least here in Spain we always use sino que with verbs, regardless of the sentence length. When I read your answer, your first example sounded wrong to me immediately. –  Gorpik Jul 11 at 11:07
@Gorpik, I think it's because with a shorter sentence, in my mind I'm using mas, in which case there's no problem other than sounding, well, old, and poorly swapping with sino. I've updated my post. (my bad) –  guifa Jul 11 at 13:48

+1 Nice answer. Keep up the good work! –  Joze Jul 28 at 12:55

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.