Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have come across the following translations:

chivo

cabra

cordero

carnero

oveja

I am positive they cannot all be exactly the same thing. Can someone please help me understand the differences, however minor? And if at all they happen to be the same thing what's the usage preference in Mexican Spanish? Please mention your country/region in your answer to help understand if there's any regional nuance to your usage.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Flimzy Jul 10 at 15:07

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – Flimzy
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Have you tried looking them each up in a dictionary? That would be a good first step. chivo, cabra, cordero, carnero, oveja. Once you've done that, if you still have questions about the differences or nuances, that will make for a much better question here. –  Flimzy Jul 10 at 15:07

Flimzy, feel free to go close my question. I had a genuine doubt so asked the question and don't see anything wrong with it here. Anyways, as you can see below, I have already received and accepted an answer so the closing of the question doesn't bother me. Cheers –  Amit Schandillia Jul 11 at 16:14

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Use "cabra", that's the most universal word for goat. The other words are not goat exactly, such as "oveja" is sheep or "cordero" is baby sheep. I'm from Argentina. Hope this is helpful!

share|improve this answer

Thanks for the quick response! What about chivo and carnero? –  Amit Schandillia Jul 4 at 0:25
"Chivo" is baby goat and "carnero" is a male sheep. It's quite tricky since there are several words for similar things. –  Eleyson Jul 4 at 0:31
In Mexico Chivo is the same as Goat but now Cabra is more used. –  Jaime Cruz Triana Jul 4 at 4:06
I Spain, at least where I live, a baby goat is called cabrito. Chivo is normally used to describe a type of beard (barba de chivo). –  itziki Jul 4 at 6:53

Thanks for being so helpful Jaime and itziki! –  Amit Schandillia Jul 11 at 16:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.