Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, when referring to a sentence written in French, I could say "the French sentence" or "the sentence in French". English is not my first language, but I think those two variants can be used interchangeably. Does the same apply to Spanish, i.e. could I use both "la frase francesa" and "la frase en francés", or is one better/more idiomatic than the other?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Both can be correct.

That said, en francés is much better, mainly because when using the adjective form, it could be interpretted either as a phrase either rendered in the French language (en la lengua francesa) or as a phrase with its origin in France (del país francés) which may or may not be rendered in the French language:

• la frase española: maybe in Spanish, maybe a Spanish saying
  • la frase en español: definitely in Spanish (may or may not be from Spain)
  • la frase de España: definitely from Spain (may or may not be in Spanish)
share|improve this answer

Great answer, thanks! –  Ubik Jul 1 at 22:42

If you believe RAE (Royal Academy), francesa as an adjective cannot mean French. Therefore "Literatura francesa de Quebec" would be a contradiction.

This means that according to RAE you should say “la frase en francés”.

Whenever I read “la Wikipedia inglesa” (14,300 times in Google) I agree with RAE, because to me that sentence means “Wikipedia from England”.

share|improve this answer

An alternative could also be to use "la Wikipedia anglófona". Note, however, that the RAE doesn't necessarily encapsulate every single use especially when meaning my be transparent. The RAE itself published a book titled La primera versión castellana de Eneida, where clearly castellana refers to the language, though like francés, español, or inglés, there exists not adjectival definition similar to "perteneciente a la lengua castellana". Context will rule everything. –  guifa Jul 24 at 23:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.